Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Students Against Tuesdays

At BYU, there are a million clubs and organizations one can join. One can walk through the student center and could become a member of the Japan club, Southern Hospitality club, the Polynesian club, the rock climbing club, the prechiropractic club, the predentist club, blah blah blah. Wow. You would be one well rounded individual if you could bow, thank mams, dance with your tongue out, propel, crack necks, and fill cavities!

Today however, I go beyond sushi and Virginia. I want to talk about the movement to obliterate Tuesdays off of the calendar forever (or at least until the semester is over.)

Tuesdays are by far my longest days. I go to psychology at 9:30 for an hour and half; then there is a broadcast from the Marriott Center directly following it, Interior Design is at 12:00, religion is at 2, and my bio lab is from 4-4:50. So basically I'm at school from 9:15 to 5:00. It wouldn't be so bad if my classes went one right after another. Instead, I am forced to wait 45 min. to an hour in between.

Psychology isn't such a bad class. The subject, itself, is interesting. I'm kosher with PSYCH. On to Interiors, or should I say, HWJD (How Would Jesus Decorate). Now, I don't mean to be sacrilegious by any means. However, the professor routinely brings the church and the Savior into our lectures, sometimes to a point when you have to ask yourself if it's crossing the line. However, because of the stressed combination of secular vs. religion when it comes to Interior Design, I feel I have a better foundation upon which I can build my future home on. The materialistic aspect of design aside, the professor has stressed the importance of living within one's means and of living modestly even if one has the means. This has made an impact on me. I used to dream of the huge house, luxury cars, yadah yadah yadah. However, being in college and actually seeing the future so close in front me had caused me to rethink some of my priorities (and no, it's not because I've finally realized that I'll never be able to afford those things...). I want to have a modest house big enough for my family to live comfortably in. I want to have quality in a house, but not flashiness. The professor also stresses the importance of charity. She made a good point in saying that if you have the money, instead of buying, say the couch that costs $1000 more, take that $1000 and give it to a good cause. The world would be a better place...Ok, so I got off on a tangent, but hey, it happens after TUESDAYS! But in short, the professor is psychotic most of the time, but I appreciate the little things I can get out of the lectures. My religion class is good. It's my smallest with probably 40 students. I feel human.
And good old lovely Biology Lab. I won't go into any detail for I dedicated a blog entry to it awhile back. However, I will repeat: Biology is of the devil.

So in looking back on my Tuesday, I guess the classes themselves aren't the problem. It's really the long hours--and of course, the Bio Lab. To counteract the nonappealing nature of this day of the week, I treat myself to a terryaki chicken bowl from Terryaki Styx (which I am eating as I type) and then trudge home, the bag with my dinner dragging on the ground as I drag along with it. But then I am home, and I take a deep breath.

Today was an especially bad Tuesday. Though I find qualities in most of my Tuesday classes as I expressed above, the lectures seemed pointless and it poured and the wind blew, and my hands froze. Doesn't the weather man know I already detest Martes? Anyway, I suppose that is why today I feel a particular loathing towards Tuesdays and why I have just spent the last ten minutes rambling on this blog entry with really no major point or purpose in mind except for the desire to wipe the day of the week off of the calendar forever.

So in conclusion, if you find your Tuesdays to be as or more unbearable than mine, please stand and join me in bringing the day of the week to a destructive and permanent end. Who is with me?

1 comment:

CSC said...

I have one class on tuesdays...and it starts at 2. But to give you some sympathy, it's a two hour boring class on asian religions. Oh well...