Sunday, September 05, 2010

What's your major? Where are you from?

Another summer bites the dust. The air is just a little cooler. The campus is once again pulsating with students scurrying to and from classes, shattering the serentiy that only spring and summer terms could offer. I used to have my favorite bathroom stall, or my favorite spot on the grass -- and I was always able to claim them as my own. Now no one seems to care that those were clearly reserved for me. But despite the fact that September always sends a bittersweet current through my fading tanned body, I am so excited for a new school year -- and did I mention it's my last? Well, my last year as a undergrad, anyway. Can I get a happy dance? Anyone? Oh yes. But even more than the fact that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I love love love my classes. I realize now that everything that I picked out of my sociology classes to really love have to do with international developement. And now I get to study that all day every day. It's a good feeling to be sitting in class and think, "Man, I love this." Note: I did NOT have this feeling in Stats 221. I'm taking classes that draw me in from the moment I sit down and push me out of my seat at the end with all the hope in the world to make a difference. My roommates are amazing -- and hilarious. Well, the two descriptions normally go hand in hand. We are going to start a quote book -- the things that come out of their mouths! I love them.

So all in all, life is good right now! Can it really be the last year???

Now, I wanted to get the positive side off my chest before I briefly touched on one aspect that bugs me about the beginning of a new semester -- the get to know you conversations. Ward socials. "Hi, what's your name? What's your major? Where are you from? Oh really? What do you want to do with that?" Ok, so one or two or maybe even three people isn't too bad. But when you're visiting with enough people for long enough, you quickly find that it would be so much easier and so less painful to merely right out the answers on a business card and hand them out. Unless the strapping young fellow you're talking with has dreamy eyes and you want to look into them for as long as you can, of course. But other than that, it's really just tedious work that no one should be subjected to. But that's my only five cents I'm going to throw in about  that one -- because hey! Life is pretty darn good. If having to answer boring questions about myself is the biggest problem I have right now, I'll gladly accept it as my ball and chain.

Now this is the part where I promise to write more diligently on this blog. Unfortunately I've reached a point in my ripe old age where I just don't make promises anymore because I always seem to forget them. So the best I can say is -- I'll try! (:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

;)