Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Oh the Crockpot

So I burn things. And I don’t just mean the food. I’ve been known to burn down kitchens, as well. And no, that’s not an exaggeration. I don’t know what it is, but many times, no matter how hard I try, or how pure my intentions are, something either ends up in flames, or as five inches thick of burnt charcoal at the bottom of a pan. And while I’d love to put the blame on some external source, unfortunately all the fingers point directly at me and my innate inability to cook. I accept it, though! You won’t find me sitting outside on the curb, depressed and defeated, because a pan of cupcakes won our little mini World War III. No. I just need to figure out how to beat the concept of cooking in its own game. I’ve realized that whenever I am asked to bring some sort of treat to Church, I could spend an hour making cookies, only to have them turn out flat as pancakes. But that only causes me embarrassment, and I end up throwing them away, having wasted an entire hour of my life. No thank you. I know how to work my credit card very well, and the grocery store is just down the street. I would assume that people would much rather eat something store bought than something gross, anyway. Right? Right.

Well, one other way I’ve learned to defeat what some might call a birth defect, is with, you guessed it, my Crockpot. I got it two Christmases ago, and recently, it has become my Sunday Savior. It’s an electronic miracle! You just throw everything in one big pot, turn it on, and let it sit all day. When time is up, the food is ingeniously cooked to perfection (no charcoal or rubber) and all I had to do was dump and push a button. Crockpots were invented for me. I have no doubt.

Every Sunday I’ve had the goal of trying a new Crockpot recipe. So far I’ve made shredded BBQ chicken, beef stroganoff, and my most recent concoction – spinach and bean enchiladas (see picture below).

 The enchiladas have been our favorite so far. So full of flavor. So cheesy. So heavenly. We served them with chopped romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, radishes, and cucumber tossed in lime juice and olive oil. Now that took me to the border if nothing else. If you want to try the recipe, here is the link. It’s from Real Simple Magazine:


The food has been amazing, and it has given my kitchen self-esteem a much-needed boost. Forget self-help books, makeovers, or weight loss. The Crockpot has changed my life.

If you have any Crockpot miracle recipes of your own, please don’t hesitate to send them my way. I’m sure my husband will thank you ever so kindly…


3 comments:

The Dawg House said...

You meant debit card I think. Crockery is awesome. I heard of a crockpot lasagna recipe I want to try. Yours sound great

Brianne said...

Thanks for inviting me to read your blog! I have one of my own if you'd like to read it, at -- wait for it -- brianneburr.blogspot.com. I know, I'm so original. Just wait til you read it...I promise it gets better. Haha

I remember the kitchen fire incident =( I'm still sorry that happened! But oh Jessica, I am so happy you found a friend in the Crockpot. I need to get me one of those! Red meat cooks really well in a crockpot, like a small roast with some cut up potatoes and carrots and celery and onions and other flavorful things to make the meat taste even better...yum. If I had more recipes I'd send them to you, but as is I can just recommend allrecipes.com -- they have lots of wonderful recipes! I'm sure you can find some good crockpot ones. Good luck! I hope you and your Crockpot (and Tyler) have a long, happy life together. =)

Jessica and Tyler said...

Dad...is that you in the Dawg House?

Brianne--I remembered you are a blogger, so I'm glad I could add to your distraction from your thesis. Haha. You know it's true. I will definitely become a follower of yours!! And your talk of roast made me ravenous. Thanks a lot! (; I shall check out allrecipes.com! I'm sure I will love it!!