Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Heart Attacks and Panchos

Yesterday I was reminded that Argentines like to talk...a LOT! Tyler and I left like missionaries at 11am (not planned, by the way, as this was the time we left the house on the mission, as well) and went saw the Mussin family. They are a grandma and grandpa that I had always loved to visit when we were here. They emit more love than almost anyone I met on the mission. So sweet. We completely took them by surprise and I thought we were going to give the grandma a heart attack. She put her face up to the window when we knocked and I said, "It´s hermana Thompson! I was a missionary here awhile ago!" She gasped and began to cry and luckily didn´t die. It was soooooo good to see them! They invited us to lunch for an asado and we´ll go to it today. After that we went and got a few hot dogs ("panchos") from El Rey de Pancho (The King of hotdogs) and ate them in the plaza while we read our books. We then went and saw an older lady we used to visit. I realized that we had visited a ton of old women during my time in Pacheco. They always seemed to be the most alone. We finished our walking adventure by visiting a family that we reactivated during my six months here. It was a part member family. The mom was the only member. Her husband was not, and her eight year old daughter had not been baptized. We began to teach the little girl, and her mom was always there. Because the daughter was so excited to get baptized, she eventually brought her mom back to activity in the Church and we could be there for the little girl´s baptism. I never knew if they stayed active, but it turns out the mother is second counselor in the Relief Society and her husband got baptized a year ago. They´ll get sealed in the temple in September. It was pretty awesome to talk to them. Well, let´s be honest, THEY talked to US. And we just had to look interested and nod in the right spots. She spoke a million miles a minutes for two and a half hours about everything from motorcyle trips from Buenos Aires to Alaska to politics to showing us her crocheting work. I think Tyler was dead when they finally drove us back to the Rudaz´s house.

We ended our evening with a Family Home Evening with another family from the ward at the Rudaz´ house. We ate their creation of tacos and joked and talked and were all punchy by 11am. Even Tyler was cracking jokes and people were laughing their heads off. That´s when I knew they were punchy because he wasn´t even speaking Spanish for some of them. All and all, it was a good first day back in P-Town. We´re going to visit more peeps today after we eat our weight in beef. I´ll update everyone tomorrow if our arteries have allowed us to live.

Chau!

No comments: