Friday, May 10, 2013

Boston - Take 2!

I returned to Beantown last weekend, and thankfully it was SUCH NICE WEATHER! I went with my mom, who was a hoot to travel with. She insists on talking to everyone. (: She seriously cracked me up all weekend. When we were in the Boston Logan airport waiting to come home, we were walking when suddenly she stopped and whispered, "Jessica. Stop. Come here." I went over to where she was, wondering what in the world was going on. In a low voice, she asked, "Have you ever seen that guy on the diving reality show?" I must've looked really confused because she further clarified who she was talking about, "Kareem Abdul Jabbar." She motioned with her eyes to look across the way. Sure enough, standing just 15 feet away from us was the basketball legend himself. I couldn't help but crack up laughing. "MOM!" I said. "I have no idea what reality show you're talking about, but I know who Kareem Abdul Jabbar is! You could've just started with that!" It was SO funny. Maybe you had to be there. He was really tall.

Anyway, we had a fun-filled, crazy weekend. We took the red-eye, which was quite uncomfortable, and when we got there, we had to navigate our way to the rental car place and with very little sleep, I, Jessica, had to drive in downtown Boston, Massachusetts. Thankfully we were given a little VW Golf, so I was able to weave in and out of traffic like a true native. It must be noted that my GPS, who my mother endearingly named Country Bumpkin, is very fond of giving us the "scenic route" and it took us almost two hours to get to Lexington and Concord. It should have taken us 40 min. Nevertheless, we got to see Cambridge and lots of neighborhoods! (LOTS of neighborhoods). We went to the Lexington Common, where the first battle of the Revolutionary War took place.
Our fearless vehicle.
The Tavern at the Lexington Common (see sign below)

The next day was "My Best Friend's Wedding." Thankfully it was unlike any Julia Roberts movie, and the happy couple tied the knot in the beautiful Boston Temple.


The reception was held in BEAUTIFUL Marblehead, in the historic King Hooper Mansion, built in 1728. My mom and I helped at the reception, and the curator of the house let us use the servants stairs. Here is my mom documenting that adventure!



The view of the harbor from one of the windows.

The garden
In the servants quarters. Toasty!




It came out blurry, but this is in front of the Hooper Mansion after the reception.
The next day we drove up to Cape Ann and explored the picturesque New England coastal towns. Our first stop was Gloucester, home of the group of men who lost their lives at sea, and whose story inspired the movie, "The Perfect Storm."



The Fisherman's Memorial. Not pictured is the long plaque of fishermen from the little town who have lost their lives since the 1600s. The most recent was in 2011. 
We then continued north to Rockport. If you have ever seen "The Proposal," you recognize this place as the little town where Sandra Bullock climbs down into the boat in her high heels. It's supposed to be Sitka, AK...
A scene in Rockport, MA in the Proposal
You can see that I'm holding things in the picture. We were walking through the small town and spotted the most amazing painting! My mom bought it for me as a "thank you" for taking her. Little did she know she took me!
This is the painting!
And this is in real life (if you couldn't tell...)
We then attempted to take a self portrait of us in front of "Motif #1," as all the artists call it...


This is why you ask someone to take your picture.

As we were leaving Rockport, we drove past this house with a for sale sign in front of it. I immediately claimed it as my own and vowed to live there. 
The only problem is that it's a cool $2.4 mil. No worries. Can't we just take a little extra in student loans?
We finished our New England coast tour back in Marblehead where we walked around downtown under the brilliant sunshine! We happened to pass the Old North Church, where a parish gathered in 1635. I just can't get over the history, people!
Old Burial Hill is known as one of the most scenic cemeteries in New England. If you've ever seen Hocus Pocus, this is the cemetery where the goons chase down Max (I swear I don't watch a lot of movies...) It's also home to Wilmot Redd, who was hung in the Salem Witch Trials. From the top of the hill you can see the harbor. 

And with that we said goodbye to Kareem and hopped the Jet Blue flight back to Oregon. Such a fun trip. And although I'm sure my mom was exausted, and I know she vowed never to let a 20-something year old plan her trips ever again, I know she loved it. And I loved going with her!

No comments: