I just had to start with that exclamation. Being back in the Northwest definitely has its advantageous, but one of the biggest drawbacks is its typical overcast skies. And when the sun comes out, let me tell you...so do the blindingly white legs. I'm pretty sure the entire student body at Oregon State University was compelled to shimmy into their summer attire this last week. They laughed. They sang. They played music on their jukeboxes as they danced around in peace circles. But then tomorrow it will rain. And everyone will go back to their otherwise studious ways. Typical.
But today, the sun is out. And the birds are chirping (hopefully not chirping AND pooping on our balcony, as they are known to do). The sun just makes everything seem better. Springtime rays make me start to anticipate the endless summer, and make me reflect on a day, many moons ago, when the word "summer" meant something more than just hotter weather. I remember the days of breaking free from school and spending endless hours frolicking through our neighborhood on rollerblades or splashing around in the pool, only coming up from air when I wanted to eat a teddy graham (hey--they were a big hit one summer!) I even remember fondly the college summers in Provo, riding bikes to the lake and stopping for black bean burgers at Sammy's, or sneaking into apartment complexs' pools and getting kicked out (I was such a rebel...). Sigh.
Welcome to the life of a grown-up.
Nevertheless, I am still looking forward to warmer, longer days, and most importantly, more time with the med student. Tyler will be out of class in June, and won't have to go back until the beginning of August. He'll be doing research, but it will be a flexible schedule, allowing us to work on our 2013 bucket list, which has somewhat been neglected with the crazy school year schedule. Some of these things include, but are not limited to:
-Backcountry hiking and camping
I've never been, and I'm still weary about using nature as my bathroom, but I think the scenery will make it worth it...maybe
-Go to a "real" concert
Tyler claims to never have been to one. It's about time this kid gets down to some great music. Jazz concerts are great in their own right. But Taylor Swift is great in any right.---too bad we'd have to sell our organs to the black market to afford her tickets.
-Get a stamp on the passport
I finally completed the last step of the great and terrible name change process. I begrudgingly coughed up the $100+ to get my passport in my married name, and it arrived to me with a horrible picture but still serving as a portal to see the world. Realizing that we do not have children yet, and that this is Tyler's last free summer until, well, EVER, we decided a vacation was in order, and since we had this particular bucket list item, we knew it was going to have to be in another land, far far away. So, what do poor students do who are eager to see the world, but whose bank account doesn't match their enthusiasm? They go to Mexico in the off-season. Duh. We just booked tickets to the Mexican Riviera for a week of relaxation and Mayan ruin hopping! We remember all too well coming home from Argentina last year and both being in complete and exhausted agreement that the next place we would go would have to be relaxing and warm. Mexico in the summer seemed to fit the bill. I can already smell the Caribbean breeze. Oh wait. That is my neighbor smoking. How soon until July??
![]() |
| Tulum. I'm in love. |
...here's hoping to warmer weather.
Ok, world. I'm ready. Bring on the summer!


No comments:
Post a Comment