Friday, November 25, 2011

Bendiciones = Blessings

There is so much to be thankful for. On the last day of my mission, I sat at a baptism in Tierra del Fuego, the wind howling outside, but the inside of the little church so warm and bright. The baptismal room was full of people I had to come to know, respect, and love. They had changed me for the better -- and they were the ones that thought I had served them! My two friends, Jorge and Maria, had just made a covenant with God that would ultimately allow their family to be together forever. They had taken a long journey to get to this day, but they arrived, and their tears could not be stopped. As they got up after their baptism to share their testimonies with the group gathered, I was blown away by the powerfulness of their conversion -- their faith moved me. I sat there in my chair, with my smelly boots, worn tights, and frizzy hair, listening with a heart so full it could've burst with a pin prick. When their testimonies came to a close, we began to sing the closing hymn: Because I Have Been Given Much. I think my heart did burst, then. Tears streamed down my face as we sang the selfless anthem in the language in which, I myself, had been converted...

Tue me has dado muchas bendiciones, Dios
por eso quiero dar tambien, segun Tu voz.
A mi hermano a tendere, su gran dolor mitigare;
a mi projimo mi amor dare.

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of they great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see;
who has the need of help, from me.

Tonight, as the Thanksgiving holiday comes to a close, I can't help but think about how the Lord has continued to bless me since this day, and really, over the course of my life. In the hustle and bustle, and minor annoyances and inconveniences, it's easy to forget to look. When I stop and see, there are so many:


An amazing husband who I don't tell nearly enough how thankful I am to have him in my life. As cheesy as it sounds, he completes me, and my love and admiration for him just grows greater every day. And I wear him out by having him do stuff for me all the time, and he never once has complained.

A loving and supportive family (no matter how dysfunctional we may sometimes be!)

A loving and supportive "in-law" family who is always there when we need them in Utah...like when our car breaks or I lock myself in the parking garage. 

Amazing and loyal friends who I just love to death and who I know are always there for me.

Getting to speak Spanish every day.

Working in my dream field of work right out of school.

Having a roof over my head and warm blankets.

Having food on the table every day.

My mission -- it changed my life.

The Gospel.

Grandparents who gave me a car. I would still be riding Sophie in the ghettos of SLC.

Hot water.

Books and literacy.

My good health.

Challenges and obstacles (in retrospect, of course).

The Scriptures and personal revelation.

People who stand up for what they believe.


Truth.

Culture.

Diversity.

Education.


Opportunity.

Love.


Happy Thanksgiving, and may we continue in the spirit all throughout the year.

1 comment:

ktb said...

Amen sister! I am so grateful for you!! And for your incredible writing! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE you!