Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Piercing Adventure...gone bad. PART 2

And so we waited. Finally, at 7:30, the tools were steralized. And we entered The Operating Room. It was in the center of the building. It was sterile, and there was a doctor's office style bed thing for the "Patient" to sit on. I joined Elli in moral support and watched as the big dude put on his pink gloves and preceded to mark the spots of the future holes. All the while, he is talking about (and really, you must have the mental image of this guy in your head--huge, dressed in black, black beanie, and tattooed up the whazoo) how soothing country drives are. Yes. I know.

Finally, everything was set to go. Putting on a voice like some doctor delivering a baby, he told Elli, "Ok. Now breathe in and out through your nose. Good. Now one more time, just like that. Good. Ok, breathe in and hold it." STAB. "Good. Breathe out." It was quite the experience, I must say.

Well, when all was said and done, our friend told Elli that she would have to come back the next day and get the cartiladge piercing because they were out of the materials for it. And so we left. And I should also mention that the second holes are MEDIUM size, because that's what the dude recommended. And we think they're larger than normal. Whoops. With this in mind, we drove to her house and faced her mother. I should mention as well that her mother was completely oblivious to the fact that her daughter had just gone to an abstract tattoo and body piercing shop.

It took her mom awhile to realize what was different. First it was, "Did you cut your hair?" Finally she realized it and thought she was joking. And I quickly realized, as I saw her mom come to the conclusion that her daughter was dead serious, that this was going to be a problem. We spent some time trying to convince her mom that the piercings weren't trashy. ANd then we told her that Elli wasn't done and that she still was going to get one more. That went over well. Her mom went to take a walk, and when she got back, I left, thinking that this family needed to discuss the issue. Obviously her mom was having a problem with more that just the piercings themselves...

The next day (today) I called Elli and her mom answered. "No you can't talk to her," she told me before I could even say anything. Caller ID. But, she was just joking. She was not being funny, however, when she told Elli, "No, you can't go get the other one done!" Nevertheless, I met Elli at the piercing place after work. Much to her mother's peace of mind, however, the place was closed up early. We have no idea why. So then we began to leave and then Elli locked her keys in her car and then I had to drive her to her house and then we had to drive back and....Well, maybe it wasn't meant to be. Or maybe the guy that does the piercings just went on one of his peaceful car drives stoned out of his mind and crashed and so he never made it to work and maybe Elli just had a blond moment (like the blonde she is) and locked her keys in the car on accident. Anyway you look at it, she's going to try again tomorrow. We shall see....

Yes. Adventures in ear piercings. I bet you never realized how fun it could be putting holes in yourself!

No comments: