Hey, it Could Happen!
Wednesday arrived faster than I had anticipated. The evening approached even quicker. Before I knew it, I was walking down to Traditions Lounge to enjoy everything acoustic guitar has to offer. I was anxious to see the musician who had so flatteringly invited me to his performance.
Upon entering the lounge, my eyes were greeted with thousands of people. "Wow," I thought. This was a bigger crowd then expected, and so many of them were dressed to the hilt for a rock concert. My two girlfriends and I, draped in our normal school clothes, weaved our way through the sea of students, working our way to the front of the room. As we did so, it was like the parting of the Red Sea. Everyone went silent around us. I stopped. "What's going on?" I whispered to Alison. Suddenly, it was as if someone had popped the bubble that seemed to wrap the room in silence. With a bang, a red carpet stretched out before us. Cameras flashed. People screamed. The three of us, tentatively made our way down the parted sea. We might as well have been Moses. I could see our front and center seats at the end of the tunnel "Jessica!" "Jessica!"Jessica!" The reporters lunged their microphones over the ropes trying to get even a simple one syllable word from my mouth. "Gosh," I said to Jamie. "I had no idea there would reporters here, let alone that they'd want to talk to me!" As we took our seats, I was still in a daze. But I simply shook my head and looked at my watch. Fifteen minutes to show time.
Suddenly, I was tapped on my right shoulder. I looked behind me to find, much to my surprise, Katie Couric. "Katie!" I exclaimed. "What a pleasant surprise to see you here! I just loved your interview with Faith Hill in Rockefeller Plaza when I was there!" Katie graciously accepted the compliment, and then, much to my excitement (as well as shock), asked if she could ask me a few questions. Apparently NBC wanted exclusive rights to the interview, so I was asked to not answer anyone else's questions. "Katie," I replied, "I'm all yours." Though I still had no idea why.
With a camera crew and a microphone, Katie began.
"Jessica," she said. "Can you tell me how you know David?"
David. David. David. My mind was drawing a blank. "Oh!" I exclaimed. "David! You mean the guitar player, right?" Katie just looked at me and the entire camera crew burst out in laughter.
"No, David the garbage man," replied Katie with a sly smile, implying that I was only pretending to play dumb. "Of course David the guitar player!" she said. "He's only the most talented guitar musician in America right now! Ever since his hot performance with the Rolling Stones, the country just can't get enough of him!" As she said this she was glancing at the camera, as if she expected the country to nod back home in front of their television screens.
I for one, had no idea that this repuation existed. The kid told me he lived in my dorm complex and that he sometimes opened for bands. He never told me they were bands like the Stones! The fact that I lived in a bubble in Provo didn't help any, either. I was floored. To think....I had been invited by him! It suddenly became clear as to what reporter interest in me was about. I was "the girl" in the picture. I've read People and US Weekly. I know how this thing works. And I was elated.
"Well, Katie," I began, suddenly taking on a confidence that I had failed to have since entering the lounge. "It's actually a funny story." (Fake, famous person laugh) "See, I was just in the library, when David came and sat by me. Later, he walked me home and asked me to come tonight. I didn't really know who he was. He was quite mysterious."
Katie chuckled. "Really?" she asked? "That sly dog! He could have any girl in America and he picks the one who doesn't even know who he is!"
I laughed. "Yeah, lucky for me, right?"
"So," Katie continued. "I take it, then, that you don't know about his nasty break up with Katie Holmes?"
I thought she was still engaged to Tom Cruise. "No," I replied. " I wasn't aware of this." Later I looked it up on CNN and found out that David/Katie was pre-Tom, and that Tom was the reason for the nasty split. Apparently, it had been on every cover of every magazine imaginable. How did I miss that one?
Katie then said, "Well, that's probably best." She looked at the head cameraman and pointed to her watch.
"Two minutes," the man replied, meaning that the show would start soon.
"It looks like we have to wrap this up," Katie said. "Sorry this was so short. But we would love to have you on our show soon!"
Was she kidding? On the Today Show? On NBC? On NATIONAL TELEVISION? I was FREAKING out inside. But I kept a cool composure.
"Katie," I responded, "I would be honored."
"It was really nice to meet you!" Katie said. "And I hope you can get that David of your's to come on our show, too. He's such a private person, that he refuses to do TV interviews! No wonder you didn't know who he was when he met you! Obviously he likes you, though. He doesn't invited just ANYONE to his shows."
"Yeah, well..." I stammered, my confidence quickly fading as I remembered that I would actually have to talk to this world famous David, let alone the fact that I was expected to have a relationship with him.
The camera man was looping his hand through the air, indicating that it was show time and that the crew needed to get out of there.
Katie quickly handed me a card. "Here's my number," she said. "Call me and we'll set up an appointment for you to come on the show. Normally I'd have you call the NBC staff member in charge of guest scheduling, but I would love to talk to you personally."
"Okay," I replied. "Thanks."
"Oh, and give David my best! I just love the boy to death! He's so cute!" And with that, Katie and her camera crew were gone.
I couldn't move. This was all too much to take in at one time. Jamie and Alison were just as stunned. They looked pale. They had come expecting a low-key college gathering. This was a nation-wide event -- and they were in the center of it all. I looked at Jamie. She looked at me. I looked at Alison. She looked at me. And we all three looked up at the stage. And the lights went dim.
Suddenly there was a burst of applause and screams, and a chord sounded from a guitar backstage. One by one the stage lights flashed on, and then a figure emerged from the curtain.
"DAVID, WE LOVE YOU!" I turned to see the five girls behind me, all wearing "I (heart) David" shirts. David flashed a million-dollar smile and gave a little wave, stepping up to the microphone.
"How we all doin' tonight?" he asked the crowd as he adjusted the microphone. The place erupted in deafening sound.
"Hahaha," David laughed. "This is a good crowd for BYU." He cleared his throat. "I'd just like to say, first of all, how stoked I am to be here. I actually went to BYU a couple of years ago, and it's nice to be back. I've been on campus for a week now, just playing student and taking it all in. It's been a blast. GO COUGARS!"
That set the crowd off again.
I still couldn't comprehend the situation. Yes, that was indeed the same David who had walked me home the other day, the one I was a little unsure about, the one I thought might have ADD. And here he was, a rock star. That guitar...
"The first song I'm going to play tonight," David began, "I just wrote this week. It was inspired by a girl - " He paused, knowing this would get a reaction from the audience. And it did. "Yeah," he said, "It is BYU, right?" Everyone laughed. "So yeah," he continued. "I met this awseome girl last week, and I just couldn't get her out of my head. And so I wrote about her." He looked directly at me. I froze. Jamie and Alison froze. "This song is for Jessica." And with a smile, he began strumming the guitar. I sat in a daze.
The performance was amazing. He played eight more songs, seven which he wrote himself. As the concert came to a close, the crowd went wild and gave David a five minute standing ovation.
"Thanks, guys," he said to the crowd. "You've been awseome tonight. It's been real." And with that, he strummed one last, conluding chord and left the stage. The lights came back on, and people began ushering their way out of the lounge. My friends and I remained seated, unsure of what we would should do. We didn't have to wait long, however, when a big shiny-headed man in a dark suit approached us.
"David would like you and your friends to come backstage," he told us.
Wow. We followed the guy.
When we went through the stage door, David was standing there to greet us.
"Hey!" he exlaimed. "You came! I wasn't sure if you would actually come."
I can't exlain what happend next, but I was suddenly overcome by a severe case of hysterics. I started laughing untrollably. The laughter seemed to be contageous. Jamie started, and then Alison, and then even David joined in. After none of our stomach's could handle any more laughter, I looked at David. He had a sheepish grin on his face.
"You knew I didn't know who you were!" I said.
He just kept smiling.
Pointing my finger at him, I said, "You little turd!" Did I just call Katie Holme's ex-boyfriend a turd? Oh, man.
"Yeah, sorry about that," he said. "I just thought it would be fun. Plus, I'm tired of girls throwing themselves at me simply because I'm famous. It was nice knowing someone would hang out with me because of who I really am."
"Okay, I can see that," I replied. "I suppose I could forgive you -- just this once, though!"
He laughed. "Okay," he said. "It will never happen again."
"Good," I said matter of factly.
"Perfect," he added.
"Marvelous," I said.
"Food?" he asked.
Food. Food. Oh, yeah. That stuff that keeps you alive. Funny how your brain leaves your body sometimes.
"Food sounds ravishing," I responded.
"Good," he replied.
"Perfect," I added.
"Marvelous," he said.
"Okay, okay, okay," I exlaimed. "FOOD!"
And with a chorus of laughter, we all walked off the stage, David carrying his guitar over his shoulder.
The End
Wednesday arrived faster than I had anticipated. The evening approached even quicker. Before I knew it, I was walking down to Traditions Lounge to enjoy everything acoustic guitar has to offer. I was anxious to see the musician who had so flatteringly invited me to his performance.
Upon entering the lounge, my eyes were greeted with thousands of people. "Wow," I thought. This was a bigger crowd then expected, and so many of them were dressed to the hilt for a rock concert. My two girlfriends and I, draped in our normal school clothes, weaved our way through the sea of students, working our way to the front of the room. As we did so, it was like the parting of the Red Sea. Everyone went silent around us. I stopped. "What's going on?" I whispered to Alison. Suddenly, it was as if someone had popped the bubble that seemed to wrap the room in silence. With a bang, a red carpet stretched out before us. Cameras flashed. People screamed. The three of us, tentatively made our way down the parted sea. We might as well have been Moses. I could see our front and center seats at the end of the tunnel "Jessica!" "Jessica!"Jessica!" The reporters lunged their microphones over the ropes trying to get even a simple one syllable word from my mouth. "Gosh," I said to Jamie. "I had no idea there would reporters here, let alone that they'd want to talk to me!" As we took our seats, I was still in a daze. But I simply shook my head and looked at my watch. Fifteen minutes to show time.
Suddenly, I was tapped on my right shoulder. I looked behind me to find, much to my surprise, Katie Couric. "Katie!" I exclaimed. "What a pleasant surprise to see you here! I just loved your interview with Faith Hill in Rockefeller Plaza when I was there!" Katie graciously accepted the compliment, and then, much to my excitement (as well as shock), asked if she could ask me a few questions. Apparently NBC wanted exclusive rights to the interview, so I was asked to not answer anyone else's questions. "Katie," I replied, "I'm all yours." Though I still had no idea why.
With a camera crew and a microphone, Katie began.
"Jessica," she said. "Can you tell me how you know David?"
David. David. David. My mind was drawing a blank. "Oh!" I exclaimed. "David! You mean the guitar player, right?" Katie just looked at me and the entire camera crew burst out in laughter.
"No, David the garbage man," replied Katie with a sly smile, implying that I was only pretending to play dumb. "Of course David the guitar player!" she said. "He's only the most talented guitar musician in America right now! Ever since his hot performance with the Rolling Stones, the country just can't get enough of him!" As she said this she was glancing at the camera, as if she expected the country to nod back home in front of their television screens.
I for one, had no idea that this repuation existed. The kid told me he lived in my dorm complex and that he sometimes opened for bands. He never told me they were bands like the Stones! The fact that I lived in a bubble in Provo didn't help any, either. I was floored. To think....I had been invited by him! It suddenly became clear as to what reporter interest in me was about. I was "the girl" in the picture. I've read People and US Weekly. I know how this thing works. And I was elated.
"Well, Katie," I began, suddenly taking on a confidence that I had failed to have since entering the lounge. "It's actually a funny story." (Fake, famous person laugh) "See, I was just in the library, when David came and sat by me. Later, he walked me home and asked me to come tonight. I didn't really know who he was. He was quite mysterious."
Katie chuckled. "Really?" she asked? "That sly dog! He could have any girl in America and he picks the one who doesn't even know who he is!"
I laughed. "Yeah, lucky for me, right?"
"So," Katie continued. "I take it, then, that you don't know about his nasty break up with Katie Holmes?"
I thought she was still engaged to Tom Cruise. "No," I replied. " I wasn't aware of this." Later I looked it up on CNN and found out that David/Katie was pre-Tom, and that Tom was the reason for the nasty split. Apparently, it had been on every cover of every magazine imaginable. How did I miss that one?
Katie then said, "Well, that's probably best." She looked at the head cameraman and pointed to her watch.
"Two minutes," the man replied, meaning that the show would start soon.
"It looks like we have to wrap this up," Katie said. "Sorry this was so short. But we would love to have you on our show soon!"
Was she kidding? On the Today Show? On NBC? On NATIONAL TELEVISION? I was FREAKING out inside. But I kept a cool composure.
"Katie," I responded, "I would be honored."
"It was really nice to meet you!" Katie said. "And I hope you can get that David of your's to come on our show, too. He's such a private person, that he refuses to do TV interviews! No wonder you didn't know who he was when he met you! Obviously he likes you, though. He doesn't invited just ANYONE to his shows."
"Yeah, well..." I stammered, my confidence quickly fading as I remembered that I would actually have to talk to this world famous David, let alone the fact that I was expected to have a relationship with him.
The camera man was looping his hand through the air, indicating that it was show time and that the crew needed to get out of there.
Katie quickly handed me a card. "Here's my number," she said. "Call me and we'll set up an appointment for you to come on the show. Normally I'd have you call the NBC staff member in charge of guest scheduling, but I would love to talk to you personally."
"Okay," I replied. "Thanks."
"Oh, and give David my best! I just love the boy to death! He's so cute!" And with that, Katie and her camera crew were gone.
I couldn't move. This was all too much to take in at one time. Jamie and Alison were just as stunned. They looked pale. They had come expecting a low-key college gathering. This was a nation-wide event -- and they were in the center of it all. I looked at Jamie. She looked at me. I looked at Alison. She looked at me. And we all three looked up at the stage. And the lights went dim.
Suddenly there was a burst of applause and screams, and a chord sounded from a guitar backstage. One by one the stage lights flashed on, and then a figure emerged from the curtain.
"DAVID, WE LOVE YOU!" I turned to see the five girls behind me, all wearing "I (heart) David" shirts. David flashed a million-dollar smile and gave a little wave, stepping up to the microphone.
"How we all doin' tonight?" he asked the crowd as he adjusted the microphone. The place erupted in deafening sound.
"Hahaha," David laughed. "This is a good crowd for BYU." He cleared his throat. "I'd just like to say, first of all, how stoked I am to be here. I actually went to BYU a couple of years ago, and it's nice to be back. I've been on campus for a week now, just playing student and taking it all in. It's been a blast. GO COUGARS!"
That set the crowd off again.
I still couldn't comprehend the situation. Yes, that was indeed the same David who had walked me home the other day, the one I was a little unsure about, the one I thought might have ADD. And here he was, a rock star. That guitar...
"The first song I'm going to play tonight," David began, "I just wrote this week. It was inspired by a girl - " He paused, knowing this would get a reaction from the audience. And it did. "Yeah," he said, "It is BYU, right?" Everyone laughed. "So yeah," he continued. "I met this awseome girl last week, and I just couldn't get her out of my head. And so I wrote about her." He looked directly at me. I froze. Jamie and Alison froze. "This song is for Jessica." And with a smile, he began strumming the guitar. I sat in a daze.
The performance was amazing. He played eight more songs, seven which he wrote himself. As the concert came to a close, the crowd went wild and gave David a five minute standing ovation.
"Thanks, guys," he said to the crowd. "You've been awseome tonight. It's been real." And with that, he strummed one last, conluding chord and left the stage. The lights came back on, and people began ushering their way out of the lounge. My friends and I remained seated, unsure of what we would should do. We didn't have to wait long, however, when a big shiny-headed man in a dark suit approached us.
"David would like you and your friends to come backstage," he told us.
Wow. We followed the guy.
When we went through the stage door, David was standing there to greet us.
"Hey!" he exlaimed. "You came! I wasn't sure if you would actually come."
I can't exlain what happend next, but I was suddenly overcome by a severe case of hysterics. I started laughing untrollably. The laughter seemed to be contageous. Jamie started, and then Alison, and then even David joined in. After none of our stomach's could handle any more laughter, I looked at David. He had a sheepish grin on his face.
"You knew I didn't know who you were!" I said.
He just kept smiling.
Pointing my finger at him, I said, "You little turd!" Did I just call Katie Holme's ex-boyfriend a turd? Oh, man.
"Yeah, sorry about that," he said. "I just thought it would be fun. Plus, I'm tired of girls throwing themselves at me simply because I'm famous. It was nice knowing someone would hang out with me because of who I really am."
"Okay, I can see that," I replied. "I suppose I could forgive you -- just this once, though!"
He laughed. "Okay," he said. "It will never happen again."
"Good," I said matter of factly.
"Perfect," he added.
"Marvelous," I said.
"Food?" he asked.
Food. Food. Oh, yeah. That stuff that keeps you alive. Funny how your brain leaves your body sometimes.
"Food sounds ravishing," I responded.
"Good," he replied.
"Perfect," I added.
"Marvelous," he said.
"Okay, okay, okay," I exlaimed. "FOOD!"
And with a chorus of laughter, we all walked off the stage, David carrying his guitar over his shoulder.
The End
No comments:
Post a Comment